Please welcome Mia Jo Celeste to the blog. She writes zombies too!!
Like Zombies? Take the Quiz and See What Kind You’ll Become
Are you a fan of The Walking Dead? Or Warm Bodies? Are you into zombies? Jill and I are. That’s partly how we connected. She’s written the Time of Zombies series and my novel Other Than has just been released. Both feature zombies. Jill’s protagonists hunt them, while my heroine has died and awoken somewhere between life and death. She’s a zombie. You can find the blurb at www. miaceleste.com, but currently, I’d like to talk those brain-craving, walking dead in general.
There are a lot of books about them right now and if you’re like me, you might be looking for a different take on the monsters. Here are a couple of interesting and unique zombie concepts. In The Forest of Hands and Teeth the cannibalistic undead can either be walkers or runners. My understanding is that the number of other zombies in the area when the human dies determines its speed after death. In the Zom-B series, the risen dead must file down their teeth to be able to speak clearly. Apparently, their teeth grow into thick fangs while their finger and toe bones poke out from digits to become claws. These once-living creatures divide themselves into two groups: the mindless dead and the Revitalized. The Reviveds, as the main character B. Smith labels herself, are teens who’ve been vaccinated against the plague in a secret government program. If fed enough brain matter, they can regain their pre-death intelligence.
Other Than has a unique spin on the human-stalking undead thing, too.
Although death is certain once an individual drinks the Waters of Immortality aka the Forever Bane waters, what kind of zombie a person will become is up for grabs. There are four possibilities. Often the personality and the habitual responses a person has when she was alive influence which zombie type she ‘ll become.
Would you like to take the quiz to determine which undead type you’d become? Grab a pencil and some paper, please. I wanted to make a quiz online, and I will soon, but for now, this is what I have. Write down your answer to these multiple-choice questions. After each question, I’ll give you the name of the zombie type most likely to choose that answer. Write down that name. At the end of the quiz, you’ll look at your responses and the names you’ve written. The name you’ve written the most is the type you’ll become.
Do you have your paper and pencils? Are you ready? Here we go.
You’re at a restaurant with your boss and you both want the special cheesecake dessert. Sadly, the waitress informs you they only have one piece left. She holds it out over the table and declares she’ll let you all decide who should have it. Your boss reaches for it.
- Stab her hand with your fork and grab the plate.
- Remind her she invited you and as the host should she should let you have it.
- Let your boss take it. After all, it’s extra pounds she’s adding. Better her figure expands than yours.
Response a= Howler, Response b= Sneak, Response c=Stitch, Response d= Shambler.)
You’re an American employee and the date is February 1st and your employer hasn’t mailed your 1099 forms for filing your taxes.
- Send a gently-worded e-mail reminder to your employer’s human resources department along with a brochure from your lawyer.
- Work? Taxes? Duh.
- Ambush the head of the human resources department after hours in the parking lot after determining the one area where the surveillance cameras don’t record.
- You map out the head of the human resources department’s route home. Someday soon, you’ll run him down. You buy a beater car, partly because you want to escape prosecution, but mostly because your current car has a too-die-for paint job and it would be a shame to mar that.
Response a =Sneak, Response b= Shambler, Response c= Howler, Response d= Stitch.)
You’re an avid gardener. You love growing tomatoes. The problem is the chipmunks, squirrels or rabbits chew on your plants.
- Construct a fence around your tomatoes.
- Decide to buy organic vegetables at the store instead. Who needs dirt under your nails? And too much sun on your skin isn’t good.
- Hide near the plants, hoping to snatch the next critter and bite its little head off.
Response a= Shambler, Response b= Sneak, Response c=Stitch, Response d =Howler.)
Your friend’s wealthy and eccentric great aunt dies, leaving him an old mansion in the middle of nowhere. He invites you to explore it. You’ve been there a few hours when an eerie howl comes from the cellar.
- Have just gotten your nails done. Volunteer to wait upstairs where the cell signal is strong to punch in 911 if he needs it.
- Put on the samurai armor and grab the antique katana you found earlier and follow him down.
- Let out a battle cry and charge down the steps, confident that you can take whatever is down there.
Response a= Stitch, Response b= Sneak, Response c= Shambler, Response d= Howler.)
Reports of people biting others and a zombie plague fill the news reports. Your mom comes home from the store. She complains the woman at the deli nipped her finger.
- Hurry her into the kitchen where you cut off her finger. You may be able to save her.
- Wow, you could get infected or worse, Mom could bite you and that would mar your skin. Lock her in the neighbor’s bathroom. Just for a while. If she doesn’t turn, they’ll let her out, right?
- Get the ax and end things for your mom. Better safe than sorry.
Response a= Sneak, Response b= Stitch, Response c =Howler =, Response d= Shambler.)
Okay, count the number of times you wrote each name. Hopefully you wrote one more than the others. There are four zombie types.
Stitches lose body parts, but their minds function normally. They are often preoccupied with their deteriorating appearance.
Shamblers’ brains decay long before the rest of them. They lose their speech. Their mental processing is flawed at best and they like to perform repetitive tasks. If you speak to them they’ll usually give you a vacant stare or ignore you completely.
Sneaks resemble living humans. They can think and act as they did before drinking the Bane. If you must become a zombie, this is the best category to fall into. Unfortunately, it’s temporary. Before long, you’ll degenerate and become one of the other three undead types.
Howlers are the alpha predators. They hunger for flesh to sustain their rotting bodies. The more human or even zombie prey they’re able to eat, the more cunning and intelligent they become.
Thank you for taking the time to complete the quiz. If you post, your result in the comments along with an e-mail address, I’ll send you the badge that corresponds with the zombie you’re likely to become.
If you’d like to find out more about Mia Jo or her novel Other Than, here are her links.
Facebook fb.me/ Mia.Jo.Celeste
You can find Jill today at Mia’s blog
Enjoy walking with the dead!